Thursday, May 25, 2006

Life Lessons in the Kitchen: On Cookie Dough and Other Sweet Rewards

My parents who have been here with us in Singapore the last 2 weeks just left this morning. They should have just landed in Tokyo on their return. We had a fabulous time with them, and we were so sad to see them go. Yes, the Wallace home was a bit forlorn this morning. Kathryn wandered aimlessly looking for something to do that was as fun as having her Nana and Pags here. And I tried to put back on my "full-time mommy" hat after 2 luxiourious weeks of lots and lots of help.

On a somewhat related note, some life lessons hit me as Kathryn, Nana and I were making cookies together in the kitchen a few days ago. The coveted batter was emerging and Kathryn was standing on a stool overlooking the oh-so-tempting bowl. (And what ADULT can even resist the urge to scoop the finger in to have "just a little taste"?) So I seized the teaching moment.

"Kathryn, that batter sure does look good, doesn't it? You know, Nana said that we shouldn't put our fingers in the batter. And she promised that if we wait, when the batter is done, we can each lick a beater. So I'm going to use self control, and not eat the batter. Do you know what that is?"

"What is it?"

"Well, self-control is when you decide not to do something now because something else better is coming later... (Ok, this may not pass as a philosophical definition, but it worked in the moment.)... SO I'm going to decide not to try the batter now, so that I can have that big beater later! Do you think you can do that?"

"Yeah! I'll wait now, and then later I'll get the beater! And cookies too!"

For the next couple of intense minutes, all seemed to be going smoothly with the dough and the teaching experiment. But all of a sudden, Kathryn jumped off the stool, ran to her room, and plopped down in her bed with her blankie. Reduced to a pile of tears, she lamented, "It's TOO HARD; It's TOO HARD!" It took several minutes of convincing and a serious pep-talk to lure her back into the kitchen. When we returned, Nana had finished up the batter and was ready to fire up the mixer. Now the goal was in sight! Within a couple of minutes, a revived Kathryn joyfully licked every microscopic bit of batter off the prized treat.

There are many days that I feel like Kathryn on the inside. "It's too hard; It's too hard," is my internal lament. Then I hear my words to Kathryn coming back to me-- Something better is coming later. If I can just keep my eyes on the prize, then I am refreshed and can keep on going. Whether it's self-control, to say "no" to something that numbs our senses to greater rewards, or it's perseverance to keep running the long race ahead, it's the awaited treasure that fuels the flame.

"Keep your eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him, endured the cross, scorning the shame, and sat down on the right hand of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you may not grow weary and lose heart." (Heb. 12:2-3)

[And as a matter of public confession, I must admit that I tasted the batter when Kathryn wasn't looking. One of the perks of adulthood.]

No comments: