Thursday, May 04, 2006

I just did a search for "Jesus" on this website, and I found a million and a half listings. President Bush, on the other hand, only had slightly over a million. That tells me that people consider Jesus someone worth talking about (even more than national politics--wow!). But with so much discussion, why create another Jesus blog?

That's a good question. But first,
since His name is used in such a wide variety of contexts, (profane and otherwise), let me define who I am speaking about here.

I'm talking about Jesus... who is fully God, existing before time in perfect unity within the Trinity along with the Father and the Spirit.

I'm talking about Jesus...who became fully man, experiencing and identifying with all of the pain and temptation of humanity, yet completely without sin.

I'm talking about Jesus... who, being fully God and fully man, suffered the penalty for our sin by His death upon a cross.

I'm talking about Jesus... who triumphantly conquered death by His resurrection, reconciling to God those who would simply trust in Him.

I'm talking about Jesus... who will one day return for His own that they might live with Him forever...whose promises both present and future bring hope and meaning to all the struggles we face today.

I'm talking about Jesus... the author, creator, and sustainer of life; worthy of all praise, at whose feet all of humanity will one day bow in worship.

That's
the Jesus I worship.

Back to my original question. So, why another Jesus blog? Let me answer that by telling you a bit about myself. I am a mother of young children. Most days I awake to the pitter-patter of little feet, just slightly before the bold declaration, “Mommy, I’m up!” My day is filled with diapers, dishes, and desperate efforts to maintain perspective. "Bring me to Jesus" is a need I feel every day.

As an alternative blog title, I considered "Melancholy Mommy". Yes, this celebration of melancholy would mark an offical end to considering this disposition a curse. I am thankful He made me a thinker, even if I do go overboard at times. But because I often get stuck meandering in pensivity (is this a word?), I constantly need to have my eyes lifted up!

Yet, I have not penned these thoughts after long and contemplative hours spent in solitude and meditation. No, motherhood does not (thankfully) afford me such long stretches of sitting alone with my thoughts. Rather, these pages are written in the daily (hourly!) trenches.
(Ok, usually during naptime.) They are written because in my emptiness, He has graciously condescended to come near time after time. They are written because I believe the greatest hunger of our hearts is that we would feast on Him who is Life. They are written because being "brought to Jesus" is what my own soul desperately needs.

No, I don't plan to write spirtual meditations in every post. Sometimes I will just write about life... The adventures of life as a mother living overseas with 2 small childen. Plenty of stories there! But in the day-in, day-out of life, my greatest need is to see Jesus. I imagine I am not alone.

May He mercifully open our eyes to see brief visions of His beauty today that would carry us to the day when we behold Him face to face.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There really is something worth reading on the internet! There is both truth and passion here. The one you're writing about is certainly worth knowing better. And you are showing yourself as someone worth knowing better, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I can relate! I'm there too friend! The routine of feeding, cleaning, organizing, tidying can get so frustrating. I'm so aware that my place of work is always with me- many people get to leave "work" and relax at home...oh, not so for so many of us! I do live for the sunny days spent playing in parks and enjoying the outdoors with the kids. I try to sit and enjoy them at home. I just have to be much more purposeful to slow down on the chores and take the time to join them in their joy. Know that I'm thinking of you and I too want to be Brought to Jesus!

Tracie said...

Wendy-- Let's help each other with this :)