Wednesday, December 16, 2009

December Musings

I've been in a posting slump.  I've been working on a lot of little projects- newsletters, homeschool co-op presentation, Christmas stuff, and a super secret project I can't tell you about yet :)

My husband thinks perhaps my 'readership' has given up on me. But I think you all have been just as busy this season as I have.

He also wants me to tell you that he walked our babysitter home in the cold, for the third time in a row. (It is 20 degrees outside right now.) Thank you, thank you!

I've also had trouble keeping up with our oldest daughter.  Kathryn has ideas that send her into outer spheres of the universe and I struggle to encourage her creativity yet bring her back to Earth. In the last week she's made plans to travel to Kenya to visit our young friends Sharon and Maureen; made tickets to sell for tightrope walking lessons; opened a store to sell bows and arrows, kleenex pictures, and clay beads; and counted her money to trade her sister in a for a puppy that costs about 1000 USD. Thankfully she came up a bit short. However in a moment of generosity, Kathryn (after deciding to keep her sister) and Ellie both gave away their semester's worth of allowance to buy Christmas gift bags for 240 migrant children. Awesome.

Tonight Jim and I tried a new Chinese restaurant that had about the tastiest fish I've ever tasted.  Then we walked to the local mall and bought one more Christmas present for Ellie, since Kathryn informed me this morning that there were 5 presents under the tree for her but only 4 for Ellie. (And a few for both, but those don't count in the tally.)  And we also learned yesterday that if you pull on a string of Chinese Christmas lights, the wires will become disconnected from the circuit board.  But you can easily open the panel and learn cool things about electric circuits, at least the ones that don't involve 220 volts.

I close with a picture from this morning's sunrise.  I know it doesn't really look like much.  But for our norm, this really is a beautiful sight.


2 comments:

Robyn said...

Wow! Gorgeous photo! Also, you have lots going on- you've been a busy bee!:) So I need to hear more about the gift bags for migrant children. Still don't know what it's all about, but sounds great. Thanks for sharing what's been going on with you. I haven't given up on your blog, by the way! I think people have given up on mine, too. Haven't been too good at it lately. :)

Unknown said...

T,

I thought maybe you had taken Cristmas vacation literally from the blog. K selling E for a puppy? We'll make her a better offer than that. Tell her to hold out for more than the puppy.

The decision of giving the girls made was the highlight. What a great lesson of sharing with those less fortunate than we.

Love you,

Pags and Nana