Monday, June 02, 2008

K's Progress

As some of you have joined us in praying for K's Chinese school struggles, I have to share her successes! Though she is still crying every day we send her, she seems to do really well after we leave. Yesterday, she asked me to ask her teacher to send home her Chinese reader so I could help her read it at home! Her teacher related that she has started speaking many more Chinese words in class. Yea! Yesterday at home she also wrote a whole chalkboard full of "Chinese characters" and proceeded to "read" it to me, repeating a song that she has learned at school. She definitely understands several elements of the language--the general look of the characters, the sing-songy tones, and one syllable per character. (I know I'm speaking "Greek" to most of you, but these are key pieces to grasping this language!)

The only bummer is that Jim and I are going to have to find another language to talk about her 'behind her back' :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Two week waiting for the avacados could be corrected by a trip to S.A.

Guess you have guessed this is Pags. I do read your blog and nearly peed in my pants from laughing about the fish story and glowed with human pride over the popcicle story.

You have a special talent for any who read this to see. It is God given so keep writing.

The CAR TRIP to Utopia was like COLORADO without the cool,white topped mountains,but the same terrain.

We miss and love you all dearly.

Tracie said...

Good to hear from you Pags. Send tortilla chips! :)@

Tracie said...

Good to hear from you Pags. Send tortilla chips! :)

Unknown said...

Praise God for Kathryn's heart to DESIRE to practice her Chinese reader at home! EXCITING progress! So cute that she's singing and "writing" Chinese in her freeplay time at home. I know what you mean about struggling to find that "spouse language" that's kiddo proof...I hate when our kids "crack" the code! today, C. was speaking french to me (our ROUGH version of it!) and I could almost see Sarah's mind turning trying to figure it out!