Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Silly moments & Tiny victories

Today, K, E and I were deep in discussion over the very important topic of middle names. Kathryn turned to Ellie and said, "Ellie, what is your middle name?" I began pondering a profound question. Have I ever taught this child her middle name? I can't remember!

Ellie said, It's not Elizabeth. No, we affirmed, it's not Elizabeth (K's middle name)
Then she said, It's not Kaitlyn. We chimed in--It is! It is Kaitlyn!
Ellie corrected us again, No it's NOT Kaitlyn. I am Ellie BELLY!

We all doubled over laughing. I truly think this child does think her middle name is "belly"-- We've called her this since she was a little baby. How do you think this will go over when she's 15?

On an encouraging parenting note, we experienced a small moment of rejoicing yesterday. We were at a truce in a popsicle war. K & E both insisted on the red one, and rather than dictating terms of peace (which I am often inclined to do) I let them battle it out until someone relented. After 5 minutes of "I want the red one! ... No I want the red one!", Ellie turned to Kathryn with a big smile and said, OK, you can have the red one Kathryn. I looked at her, and she gave a giant smile like she knew she had just slayed the "selfish" monster, and we held an impromptu party in the kitchen.

Today, touched off by the popsicle incident, K relinquished the pink bowl to Ellie with a smile!

Even the smallest signs of fruit on the road to faith and obedience are worth a celebration!

2 comments:

meh said...

That story made me laugh...and brought back a memory. When I was in kindergarten I was asked what my name was and, as everyone in my family called me this, I told them "tra-la". Apparently I was a happy, singing child and I liked my nickname. So Ellie really may stick with "belly".

Unknown said...

Amen Sista!! celebrate!