Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Addiction I: Desire & Freedom

I wrote the last few posts in advance, setting them to post in the future. That means that though I've said I was going give some thoughts and quotes from Addiction & Grace, I now find myself under a pile of reading assignments!

But I think these thoughts are so fascinating, I'm still going to try!

What is addiction?
"While repression stifles desire, addiction attaches desire, bonds and enslaves the energy of desire to certain behaviors, things, or people... Addiction then is a state of compulsion, obsession or preoccupation that enslaves a person's will and desire. It sidetracks and eclipses the energy of our deepest desire, for love and goodness..." (namely, God.)

To be unattached to the things that addict us is not freedom FROM desire, but freedom OF desire.

So, you say you're not an alcoholic, or a heroin addict. What does this have to do with you?

It's about naming the things that BIND you, so that your heart is free to be loved, and to love.

More tomorrow...

No comments: