Friday, June 15, 2007

Texas State Fishery

OK, I'm catching up on the backlog of pics from our US time.
One trip of great interest was with GG and Da (Jim's parents) to the Texas State Fishery. Since you've never heard of this place, it is in Athens, TX. Yes, I know this is another place most of you have never heard of--It's in East Texas. We had a great time at the Fishery! One random detail-- While we were at the fishing pond, I got a call on my cell phone from a friend in China. I thought, "Is this real, that I am having a crystal clear conversation on my cell phone with my friend in China from East Texas??" I couldn't believe the great reception. OK, now back to the fishery.

First tank of note: HUGE, HUNGRY catfish. Don't they just look like they would gobble my little Ellie up??















Then we made our way to the fishing pond. This was GREAT for kids-- A big pond stocked full of small catfish. Every cast landed a whopper! Kathryn really got into it and thought it was grand fun.















Ellie wasn't sure she wanted to touch the slimy things, but before long she was fishin with the best of em.






























There was even a fun educational program for kids where a diver talks to you from inside the tank about the various fish. Kathryn wanted to know if she could go swimming with the fish too. I highly recommend this place-- next time you are in Athens, TX.

No comments: