Thursday, April 26, 2007

Redemption and an Apple Tree

April 24, 2007, the fifth anniversary of the birth of our first born daughter,

Hannah Kathryn Wallace.

I have done many different things over the last five years to commemorate our daughter’s short life. In my heart, I feel stirrings to write something—a bit of poetry, a tribute, special memories… But this year on her birthday, two weeks from another international move and all the overwhelming details daily confronting us, there feels no time to be introspective or (should I have something to say), time to articulate it well. (Not to mention I spent the better part of the day in the ER with Ellie, who took a bad fall and bit a nasty, gaping hole in her tongue.)

But the day was not lost on the tyranny of the urgent alone, and Kathryn was the impetus for the day's precious moment. When I got home from the hospital, I sat down on the couch and decided to tell Kathryn that it was Hannah’s birthday. She knows all about her sister and we have discussed it many times, and at that moment it felt like I was talking with a good friend rather than a 3 year old.

Then all of a sudden, Kathryn asks

“Mom, can you eat an apple right now?”

“Why do you want me to eat an apple?”

“Because we need some apple seeds to plant an apple tree for her birthday!”

So we shared an apple, and (from a particularly fruitful apple) acquired 9 seeds, and impromptu took them down to her ‘garden’ to plant them. Can you think of a better way to celebrate Hannah’s birthday, than plant an apple tree?

No matter that apples don’t grow here in Singapore. Never mind that she planted them in a shallow bit of dirt in a garden area designed for shrubs and flowers. She planted 9 apple seeds, (and having faithfully watered them the last 2 days), is convinced that time is all it will take before we’re enjoying the fruit. And honestly, I wouldn’t be shocked if, should we come for a visit in 10 years, there’s an apple tree bearing fruit right there—just because God just might do something like that to delight the heart of a child.

I never would have believed it if you had told me 5 years ago that I would be sharing about Hannah’s life (let alone planting an apple tree!) with her sister. A bit of redemption in the best 5 minutes of my day. I can imagine there is more to come.
















K proudly showing off her planted seeds



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracie, I will remember with you, too, and celebrate that we serve a God who is in the business of redemption. And new life! My prayers are with you in the upcoming move...Lindsay

Tracie said...

Thanks for remembering, Lindsay. It always warms a mommy's heart, as you know. And thanks for your prayers! We leave Sunday morning...